Wednesday, October 21, 2015

19th of June 2009

They call me the ghost with the Zimmer frame, because I creep around the hospital ward until I drop, day or night. I've got to get strong so I can get out of here.

I get about an hour where all I want to do is stand up and move around, then I get light headed and a hunger comes over me like I've never experienced, and then I have to sleep. I'll sleep for a couple of hours and then I'll hear my sister's voice waking me with those same words...

"John, get up."

I went outside tonight for the first time with another 'inmate' down three floors, hoping to have a cigarette. My new buddy wanted to get me a wheelchair before we got into the lift, but as stubborn as I am, I refused.

I got outside, lit the cigarette and then the world began to spin, everything started to go black and I thought I was about to 'go', but I managed to fight it off. Only got a few puffs in before I gave it up. I was looking at the stars, feeling dizzy and making promises to Alcyone all at the same time. I don't know why the stars made me feel better, but they did. They steadied me, I guess, and somehow I felt close to her again.

Got some strange looks from passers-by, mind you. Must be my startling good looks, and stylish way of walking with my bandaged Scottish back-side hanging out of my hospital gown.

It took me three times longer to get back to my bed than it did to escape it, and then the nurses were hell-bent on giving me a sponge-bath. Something about not smelling so good. I told them I'll wash when I can do it myself, and that will happen when I have enough courage to look at my broken body. I'm not there yet, have to admit I'm being a bit of a sook about it, but I'll get there soon.

With any luck, my ripe Scottish scent might prompt them to kick me out a bit quicker.

Glen and Moira say to take it easy, not to rush things or else I could undo all the good work of the surgeon, but they don't know. They can't know that this hospital room feels like a prison cell stopping me from finding her.

I have to get out. I've got to be free. I'm going to beat this.

-----------

Want more?

Click here...



No comments:

Post a Comment